Thursday, April 16, 2009

March 2009: Burkina Faso with DaCruz

Before we get started, you may notice a slight difference in the posting format. Since it was Illicit’s 100th post two days ago, I figured I’d get it something nice. Behold, the Share bar. With this little tool, you can Digg, Delicious, Stumble, and Twitter to your heart’s content. If you like a post, share it with someone new! Now on to today’s post. Keeping with the theme of traveling to new places, French artist DaCruz tells us about his recent trip to Burkina Faso. He writes: 

“I’ve been in Burkina Faso to work with my two different associations. One’s from Paris and other is from Sabou, about 90 km from the capital.” “We went with 8 young people from the popular areas of Paris to work together on music and graffiti. We brought our knowledge of different parts of hip-hop culture to share in a popular Sabou festival. We stayed almost 3 weeks in March to prepare for it. The festival was a really special moment.” “I love to travel and paint. Every time I get the chance, I try to move and bring my colors everywhere.” “My style of graffiti is a mix of different 'primitif' cultures with an urban touch. That's the reason I'm trying to find a style that can be understood in the middle of a village in Africa or South America.”
In addition to Burkina Faso, you can find DaCruz in Senegal, Portugal, Spain, and France. For more info, check his MySpace.  

Merci, DaCruz! Only one more post lies between me and a week-long break. Want a post about you when I get back? Send me your stuff! I should note that you don't have to be a street artist to post. All you need is some of your own street art photos and a story about why you like them. Simple enough? Great! Send them to me on MySpace or through e-mail. While I may be roaming, I promise to check my e-mail obsessively. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment