Thursday, July 9, 2009

June 2009: SBH in ATL

One of my best friends will be visiting this weekend and I can't wait for her to arrive. We've got the Willowby Windows event, the North African Arts Festival, the NY Eyes and Ears Festival, and maybe even a Jon Burgerman book signing to look forward to. (Since she's also a street art fan, she'll feel right at home.) Whitney's from Atlanta, so it's fitting that today's post is straight out of A-town. SBH contacted me a while back about his work and I'm excited to share his pieces with you today. He writes:

“I’m SBH and I live in ATL. I use almost anything I can get my hands on: acrylic, spray paint, markers, ink and watercolor. I haven't used oils but a few times so I working on that. I also do digital graphics.”
“I like characters for sure. The creepier the better. I've always been drawn to creepy characters. I've been drawing off and on since I was a little kid. Paint is still kind of new to me. Been painting for a few years now. I’d rather draw but people would rather see my paintings. People love color. I love just white paper and a black pen, to be honest. That's my favorite.”
“My crazy brain inspires me for the most part. I don’t think much about what I paint and draw. If I'm in the mood I just sit down and draw and the rest just happens. I tell myself all the time to think about what I want to draw and paint but I never do. When I was a kid Andy Howell would of been my biggest influence. Skateboarding would of been next. Andy Howell is an old pro skater that used to do board graphics and one day I saw his characters and I fell in love. The rest is history.”
“Andy Howell, Ewokone, Sam Flores, JAR, Jeff Soto, Robert Williams, The Coop, Dalek, Ron English and Doze Green are some of my favorite peeps.”
“Years from now, I’m not sure what I’ll be doing with art. Maybe I’ll be doing children's books or something. I’d like to do some skateboard stuff at a pro level. I’ve only done things for my shop and local board companies. I’ve always wanted to put out a coloring book. That would be fresh.”

Thanks, SBH! He's got a stash of great photos, so check them out on Flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment