Tuesday, December 1, 2009

November 2009: Dhear in Mexico City

When the weather gets chilly, I dream of warmer weather. Mexico City is pretty tempting because it's got everything I need: good food, toasty temperatures, and amazing street art. If I had the cash, I'd be there in a second. Dhear's photos make me want to book a flight immediately. Today, he checks in from the City of Palaces to share a bit about his work. He writes:
" I was a thirteen-year-old high school student when I started with graffiti. I would do graffiti every weekend. Then I became interested in painting, and so I started to apply these techniques to graffiti, and vice versa. I consider myself an autodidact."
"When I'm painting on streets I don't think I'm doing street art. My sources come from graffiti, so I paint graffiti. I usually paint by myself."
"It all starts in my head, then it goes to paper. Then it is a long, meticulous process with clay, light table, taking pictures, or working on hues with Photoshop; it is exhausting, but I'm always satisified with the results. If I'm not, I destroy it and start it again."
"Things can get crazy out in the street. When I was 13 years old, I was tagging a phone and some dude broke my nose and some teeth. When I was 19, I fell in a hole and fucked up my right arm. Then there are always problems with the police..."
"Nowadays I'm still painting on the streets, drawing, and doing some design work to earn my living. I'm working on a project of my own characters and letters for canvases and street. The name of the project is called 'Vakterya.'"

Gracias, Dhear! For more photos, visit his Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment