Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July 2009: Following Up With The Krah

In a perfect world, I’d love to get a Ph.D in street art. I feel like the history of the medium is so interesting. While we spray, paste, and stick our ideas in public spaces today, the concept of graffiti isn’t anything new. With street art growing in popularity, I’d love to write a dissertation on the importance of its place in the art world. In my dreams, I’m a Doctor of Philosophy in Montana 94s. However, those degrees cost Gs, so I’ll keep my research project on the back burner. If it ever does materialize, I think I’ll ask The Krah to be my research assistant. He shared some stuff from Athens a while back. Now, he’s gearing up for his own gallery show. He writes:
“Is graffiti art? I don’t really care. I was reading about the history of graffiti and found some interesting facts.”
“As we all know, all ancient civilisations such as the Athenians, Incas, Egyptian and lots more all carved or painted on walls and temples without permission.”
“When Renaissance artists such as Pinturicchio, Raphael, Michelangelo, Ghirlandaio or Filippino Lippi descended into the ruins of Nero's Domus Aurea, they carved or painted their names and returned with the grottesche style of decoration. That’s something I didn’t know.”
“Anyway that’s all history now. I am looking forward to my solo show in Berlin this August. It’ll be my first solo show in Germany. I want to spread my graffiti like a virus all over the city.”
Thanks, man! I’d love to be back in Berlin. If you’re already there, head over the ATM Gallery to check out his stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment