Wednesday, May 12, 2010

April 2010: Pablo Hererra in Salamanca

Increased urbanization usually means fewer trees. While Pablo's versions don't produce carbon dioxide, bear fruit, or pollinate, they still make urban spaces a little brighter. Today, he checks in from Salamanca and explains the story behind his arbor-themed paintings. He writes:
"I live in Salamanca, a small inland town famous for its university which looks beautiful but has no cultural power in the 21st century. I try to show parts of the city and its surroundings that aren't promoted by the culture and tourism board. Although most of my work takes place in Salamanca, I painted in similar sites around Asturias, Madrid, Cáceres and Huesca. I am interested in marginalized spaces, not the center of the city."
"Developing my style was a slow process. Ten years ago, I started with Chinese ink, painting vertical lines which gradually became plant prototypes and ended up as trees. I have a fascination with the abstract; I hope to end up doing pure abstraction on the wall."
"I love painting in quiet, abandoned places. Some of them convey a strange feeling, like temples. My favorite was an old farm re-taken by nature; many of my first murals were made there."
"I've only had a little trouble with the police. Sometimes, I get chased by dogs. Most of the time, people just think that I own a place. Maybe they think I work for the council! I almost always make a good connection with the neighbors."
"Now I am preparing some graphic work on paper, but street art gives me the most artistic satisfaction. I think it's a passion and a vice of sorts. I love seeing more people developing a simple way to create joy. Street art connects the problems of the street and the miseries of the city with beauty. It always brings a feeling of inexplicable fullness."

Gracias, Pablo! For more photos of his projects, stop by his blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I can't tell you how much guilt it alleviates. Marie-Therese Mit Strohhut

    ReplyDelete