Thursday, May 28, 2009

March 2009: Buenos Aires with Cabaio

Right now, my friends Sena and Padric are both in Buenos Aires and loving it. While the seasons inch closer and closer to winter every day, I can’t say I haven’t considered it. Argentine artist Cabaio’s work is further reason to check the city out. Cabaio covers San Telmo, the oldest neighborhood in Buenos Aires, with his own brand of stencil. He writes:  
“When the government of de la Rua fell in 2001, it was a time to say things; one way was via stencils. I worked in a restaurant and went to work late night, so I had time to paint the city.” 
“I lived in San Telmo, a district full of cultural assets. Together with my friends from Vomiting Attack, a collective of artists, we just started painting on the streets.” 

“We worked together for several years and did some shows, workshops, and performances. Today, I continue with my own project: trying to intervene space space with some sense while always using stencil.”  

“Sometimes I work in other neighborhoods such as Palermo, Colegiales, Villa Crespo. Sometimes, I am alone and sometimes I paint with colleagues who are interested in the action.” 
“At this moment, I am collaborating with Domingo Codes, an artist from Brazil. Two months ago, he traveled to Salvador, Bahia, on exchange with other artists and painted in that city.” 

Don't have much in the way of contact info for Cabaio, but if you Google his name and 'street art,' some photos pop up. If you want to know more, shoot me a note and I'll ask if I can pass his info along. Gracias, Cabaio!

No comments:

Post a Comment