Tuesday, February 17, 2009

August 2008: Québec City

Fabulous weekend. Thank goodness for high school vacations; I needed a break from my students as much as they wanted to get away from me. Yesterday, I popped up to Boston and checked out the Shepard Fairey exhibit at the ICA. Very nicely done! There's a wide selection of prints from Andre the Giant and the Obey campaign to his war series and a variety of portraits, including the ubiquitous Obama piece. Definitely worth checking out.

Now on to the post. Today's words and images come from my sister. She managed to find time in her chaotic college schedule to wax poetic about shots she took last summer. She writes:
"Over the summer I visited Québec for the first time. Gorgeous city. It blends the old and the modern so well, and its street art is no exception. It was the first time I'd been in a city where I really looked hard for good street art, but before long this piece jumped out at me. At the crossroads of a small neighborhood and a row of cute little shops, I found this guy. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out who he is, or what "moé" means, but I find myself looking back at this picture every once in a while, trying to figure out the mystery."
Er, these are great! Thanks so much. (And mystery solved: 'moé' means 'moi' in French so it roughly translates to 'Someone stop me!') I'm already mulling over tomorrow's post but we've got a lot of interesting stuff waiting to be shared. If you've got any photos or stories that you want posted, send them my way! My readers in the Philippines! Turkey! France! Germany! Russia! Yeah, I know you're all out there. Rep your countries and let people know what's up on your street art scene! Drop me a line at illicitexhibitions@gmail.com and let me know what's up!

No comments:

Post a Comment